Teaches basic academic, social, and other formative skills to pupils in public or private elementary schools.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching and Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Instructs students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Meets with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress and to determine priorities for their children and their resource needs.
- Prepares students for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- Prepares materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Observes and evaluates students' performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Reads books to entire classes or small groups.
- Provides a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate, and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.