Makes exact measurements and determines property boundaries. Provides data relevant to the shape, contour, gravitation, location, elevation, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth's surface for engineering, mapmaking, mining, land evaluation, construction, and other purposes.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Design and Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Verifies the accuracy of survey data, including measurements and calculations conducted at survey sites.
- Directs or conducts surveys to establish legal boundaries for properties, based on legal deeds and titles.
- Prepares or supervises preparation of all data, charts, plots, maps, records, and documents related to surveys.
- Prepares and maintains sketches, maps, reports, and legal descriptions of surveys to describe, certify, and assume liability for work performed.
- Writes descriptions of property boundary surveys for use in deeds, leases, or other legal documents.
- Searches legal records, survey records, and land titles to obtain information about property boundaries in areas to be surveyed.
- Coordinates findings with the work of engineering and architectural personnel, clients, and others concerned with projects.
- Establishes fixed points for use in making maps, using geodetic and engineering instruments.
- Calculates heights, depths, relative positions, property lines, and other characteristics of terrain.
- Adjusts surveying instruments to maintain their accuracy.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.