Shapes molten glass according to patterns.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Heats glass to pliable stage, using gas flames or ovens and rotating glass to heat it uniformly.
- Inspects, weighs, and measures products to verify conformance to specifications, using instruments such as micrometers, calipers, magnifiers, or rulers.
- Records manufacturing information, such as quantities, sizes, or types of goods produced.
- Places glass into dies or molds of presses and control presses to form products, such as glassware components or optical blanks.
- Sprays or swabs molds with oil solutions to prevent adhesion of glass.
- Blows tubing into specified shapes to prevent glass from collapsing, using compressed air or own breath, or blows and rotates gathers in molds or on boards to obtain final shapes.
- Operates electric kilns that heat and mold glass sheets to the shape and curve of metal jigs.
- Determines types and quantities of glass required to fabricate products.
- Sets up and adjusts machine press stroke lengths and pressures and regulates oven temperatures, according to glass types to be processed.
- Shapes, bends, or joins sections of glass, using paddles, pressing and flattening hand tools, or cork.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.