Monitors and controls electronic computer and peripheral electronic data processing equipment to process business, scientific, engineering, and other data according to operating instructions. Monitors and responds to operating and error messages. May enter commands at a computer terminal and set controls on computer and peripheral devices.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Information Support and Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Enters commands, using computer terminal, and activates controls on computer and peripheral equipment to integrate and operate equipment.
- Monitors the system for equipment failure or errors in performance.
- Responds to program error messages by finding and correcting problems or terminating the program.
- Notifies supervisor or computer maintenance technicians of equipment malfunctions.
- Answers telephone calls to assist computer users encountering problems.
- Records information such as computer operating time, problems that occurred, and actions taken.
- Operates spreadsheet programs and other types of software to load and manipulate data and to produce reports.
- Retrieves, separates and sorts program output as needed, and sends data to specified users.
- Helps programmers and systems analysts test and debug new programs.
- Oversees the operation of computer hardware systems, including coordinating and scheduling the use of computer terminals and networks to ensure efficient use.