Installs, services, and repairs heating and air conditioning systems in residences and commercial buildings.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests pipe or tubing joints or connections for leaks, using pressure gauge or soap-and-water solution.
- Tests electrical circuits or components for continuity, using electrical test equipment.
- Repairs or replaces defective equipment, components, or wiring.
- Discusses heating or cooling system malfunctions with users to isolate problems or to verify that repairs corrected malfunctions.
- Repairs or services heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to improve efficiency, such as by changing filters, cleaning ducts, or refilling non-toxic refrigerants.
- Installs, connects, or adjusts thermostats, humidistats, or timers.
- Connects heating or air conditioning equipment to fuel, water, or refrigerant source to form complete circuit.
- Studies blueprints, design specifications, or manufacturers' recommendations to ascertain the configuration of heating or cooling equipment components and to ensure the proper installation of components.
- Complies with all applicable standards, policies, or procedures, such as safety procedures or the maintenance of a clean work area.
- Installs auxiliary components to heating or cooling equipment, such as expansion or discharge valves, air ducts, pipes, blowers, dampers, flues, or stokers.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.