Prepares and cooks to order a variety of foods that require only a short preparation time. May take orders from customers and serve patrons at counters or tables.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Grills, cooks, and fries foods such as french fries, eggs, and pancakes.
- Cleans food preparation equipment, work areas, and counters or tables.
- Takes orders from customers and cooks foods requiring short preparation times, according to customer requirements.
- Grills and garnishes hamburgers or other meats, such as steaks and chops.
- Restocks kitchen supplies, rotates food, and stamps the time and date on food in coolers.
- Performs food preparation tasks, such as making sandwiches, carving meats, making soups or salads, baking breads or desserts, and brewing coffee or tea.
- Plans work on orders so that items served together are finished at the same time.
- Completes orders from steam tables, placing food on plates and serving customers at tables or counters.
- Performs general cleaning activities in kitchen and dining areas.
- Accepts payments, and makes change or writes charge slips as necessary.