Uses hand or hand tools to perform routine cutting and trimming of meat, poultry, and seafood.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Food Products and Processing Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses knives, cleavers, meat saws, bandsaws, or other equipment to perform meat cutting and trimming.
- Cleans, trims, slices, and sections carcasses for future processing.
- Cuts and trims meat to prepare for packing.
- Removes parts, such as skin, feathers, scales or bones, from carcass.
- Inspects meat products for defects, bruises or blemishes and removes them along with any excess fat.
- Produces hamburger meat and meat trimmings.
- Processes primal parts into cuts that are ready for retail use.
- Obtains and distributes specified meat or carcass.
- Separates meats and byproducts into specified containers and seal containers.
- Weighs meats and tags containers for weight and contents.