Lays out, machines, fits, and assembles castings and parts to metal or plastic foundry patterns, core boxes, or match plates.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sets up and operates machine tools, such as milling machines, lathes, drill presses, and grinders, to machine castings or patterns.
- Reads and interprets blueprints or drawings of parts to be cast or patterns to be made, computes dimensions, and plans operational sequences.
- Verifies conformance of patterns or template dimensions to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, scales, and micrometers.
- Programs computerized numerical control machine tools.
- Designs and creates templates, patterns, or coreboxes according to work orders, sample parts, or mockups.
- Assembles pattern sections, using hand tools, bolts, screws, rivets, glue, or welding equipment.
- Repairs and reworks templates and patterns.
- Lays out and draws or scribes patterns onto material, using compasses, protractors, rulers, scribes, or other instruments.
- Cleans and finishes patterns or templates, using emery cloths, files, scrapers, and power grinders.
- Constructs platforms, fixtures, and jigs for holding and placing patterns.