Lays out, machines, fits, and assembles castings and parts to metal or plastic foundry patterns, core boxes, or match plates.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Verifies conformance of patterns or template dimensions to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, scales, and micrometers.
- Sets up and operates machine tools, such as milling machines, lathes, drill presses, and grinders, to machine castings or patterns.
- Repairs and reworks templates and patterns.
- Assembles pattern sections, using hand tools, bolts, screws, rivets, glue, or welding equipment.
- Reads and interprets blueprints or drawings of parts to be cast or patterns to be made, computes dimensions, and plans operational sequences.
- Constructs platforms, fixtures, and jigs for holding and placing patterns.
- Cleans and finishes patterns or templates, using emery cloths, files, scrapers, and power grinders.
- Marks identification numbers or symbols onto patterns or templates.
- Programs computerized numerical control machine tools.
- Creates computer models of patterns or parts, using modeling software.