Paints, coats, or decorates articles, such as furniture, glass, plateware, pottery, jewelry, toys, books, or leather.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Applies coatings, such as paint, ink, or lacquer, to protect or decorate workpiece surfaces, using spray guns, pens, or brushes.
- Examines finished surfaces of workpieces to verify conformance to specifications and retouch any defective areas.
- Cleans and maintains tools and equipment, using solvents, brushes, and rags.
- Reads job orders and inspects workpieces to determine work procedures and materials required.
- Cleans surfaces of workpieces in preparation for coating, using cleaning fluids, solvents, brushes, scrapers, steam, sandpaper, or cloth.
- Rinses, drains, or wipes coated workpieces to remove excess coating material or to facilitate setting of finish coats on workpieces.
- Places coated workpieces in ovens or dryers for specified times to dry or harden finishes.
- Selects and mixes ingredients to prepare coating substances according to specifications, using paddles or mechanical mixers.
- Melts or heats coating materials to specified temperatures.
- Conceals blemishes in workpieces, such as nicks and dents, using fillers such as putty.