Performs engineering duties in designing, constructing, and testing aircraft, missiles, and spacecraft. May conduct basic and applied research to evaluate adaptability of materials and equipment to aircraft design and manufacture. May recommend improvements in testing equipment and techniques.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Science, Technology, Engineering and Math pathway.
A person in this career:
- Formulates mathematical models or other methods of computer analysis to develop, evaluate, or modify design, according to customer engineering requirements.
- Plans or conducts experimental, environmental, operational, or stress tests on models or prototypes of aircraft or aerospace systems or equipment.
- Formulates conceptual design of aeronautical or aerospace products or systems to meet customer requirements or conform to environmental regulations.
- Plans or coordinates activities concerned with investigating and resolving customers' reports of technical problems with aircraft or aerospace vehicles.
- Writes technical reports or other documentation, such as handbooks or bulletins, for use by engineering staff, management, or customers.
- Directs or coordinates activities of engineering or technical personnel involved in designing, fabricating, modifying, or testing of aircraft or aerospace products.
- Evaluates product data or design from inspections or reports for conformance to engineering principles, customer requirements, environmental regulations, or quality standards.
- Develops design criteria for aeronautical or aerospace products or systems, including testing methods, production costs, quality standards, environmental standards, or completion dates.
- Analyzes project requests, proposals, or engineering data to determine feasibility, productibility, cost, or production time of aerospace or aeronautical products.
- Maintains records of performance reports for future reference.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.