Sets up, operates, or tends grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic work pieces.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects or measures finished workpieces to determine conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as gauges or micrometers.
- Lifts and positions workpieces, manually or with hoists, and secures them in hoppers or on machine tables, faceplates, or chucks, using clamps.
- Sets up, operates, or tends grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic workpieces.
- Observes machine operations to detect any problems, making necessary adjustments to correct problems.
- Sets and adjusts machine controls according to product specifications, using knowledge of machine operation.
- Measures workpieces and lays out work, using precision measuring devices.
- Selects machine tooling to be used, using knowledge of machine and production requirements.
- Studies blueprints, work orders, or machining instructions to determine product specifications, tool requirements, and operational sequences.
- Mounts and positions tools in machine chucks, spindles, or other tool holding devices, using hand tools.
- Activates machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpieces, according to specifications.