Assists faculty or other instructional staff in postsecondary institutions by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate teaching assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching and Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Teaches undergraduate level courses.
- Evaluates and grades examinations, assignments, or papers and record grades.
- Leads discussion sections, tutorials, or laboratory sections.
- Develops teaching materials, such as syllabi, visual aids, answer keys, supplementary notes, or course Web sites.
- Informs students of the procedures for completing and submitting class work, such as lab reports.
- Returns assignments to students in accordance with established deadlines.
- Prepares or proctors examinations.
- Tutors or mentors students who need additional instruction.
- Meets with supervisors to discuss students' grades or to complete required grade-related paperwork.
- Schedules and maintains regular office hours to meet with students.