Computes, classifies, and records numerical data to keep financial records complete. Performs any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Corporate Finance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information.
- Checks figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Complies with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Operates 10-key calculators, typewriters, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents.
- Receives, records, and banks cash, checks, and vouchers.
- Codes documents according to company procedures.
- Performs financial calculations, such as amounts due, interest charges, balances, discounts, equity, and principal.
- Reconciles or notes and reports discrepancies found in records.
- Performs general office duties, such as filing, answering telephones, and handling routine correspondence.
- Accesses computerized financial information to answer general questions as well as those related to specific accounts.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.