Rigs derrick equipment and operates pumps to circulate mud through drill hole.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects derricks, or orders their inspection, prior to being raised or lowered.
- Inspects derricks for flaws, and cleans and oils derricks to maintain proper working conditions.
- Controls the viscosity and weight of the drilling fluid.
- Repairs pumps, mud tanks, and related equipment.
- Sets and bolts crown blocks to posts at tops of derricks.
- Listens to mud pumps and checks regularly for vibration and other problems to ensure that rig pumps and drilling mud systems are working properly.
- Starts pumps that circulate mud through drill pipes and boreholes to cool drill bits and flush out drill cuttings.
- Positions and aligns derrick elements, using harnesses and platform climbing devices.
- Supervises crew members, and provides assistance in training them.
- Guides lengths of pipe into and out of elevators.