Locates and notifies customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; and keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Banking Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Arranges for debt repayment or establishes repayment schedules, based on customers' financial situations.
- Locates and notifies customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visits to solicit payment.
- Advises customers of necessary actions and strategies for debt repayment.
- Persuades customers to pay amounts due on credit accounts, damage claims, or nonpayable checks, or to return merchandise.
- Confers with customers by telephone or in person to determine reasons for overdue payments and to review the terms of sales, service, or credit contracts.
- Locates and monitors overdue accounts, using computers and a variety of automated systems.
- Answers customer questions regarding problems with their accounts.
- Records information about financial status of customers and status of collection efforts.
- Traces delinquent customers to new addresses by inquiring at post offices, telephone companies, credit bureaus, or through the questioning of neighbors.
- Sorts and files correspondence and performs miscellaneous clerical duties, such as answering correspondence and writing reports.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.