Helps electricians by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Measures, cuts and bends wires and conduits, using measuring instruments and hand tools.
- Traces out short circuits in wiring, using a test meter.
- Strips insulation from wire ends, using wire stripping pliers, and attaches wires to terminals for subsequent soldering.
- Examines electrical units for loose connections and broken insulation and tighten connections, using hand tools.
- Constructs controllers and panels, using power drills, drill presses, taps, saws and punches.
- Drills holes and pulls or pushes wiring through openings, using hand and power tools.
- Cleans work areas and washes parts.
- Maintains tools, vehicles and equipment and keeps supplies and parts in order.
- Transports tools, materials, equipment, and supplies to work site by hand, handtruck, or heavy, motorized truck.
- Installs copper-clad ground rods, using a manual post driver.