Formats and proofs text and images submitted by designers and clients into finished pages that can be printed. Includes digital and photo typesetting. May produce printing plates.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Printing/Publishing pathway.
A person in this career:
- Enters, stores, and retrieves information on computer-aided equipment.
- Enters, positions, and alters text size, using computers, to make up and arrange pages so that printed materials can be produced.
- Maintains, adjusts, and cleans equipment, and performs minor repairs.
- Operates and maintains laser plate-making equipment that converts electronic data to plates without the use of film.
- Examines photographic images for obvious imperfections prior to plate making.
- Operates presses to print proofs of plates, monitoring printing quality to ensure that it is adequate.
- Monitors contact between cover glass and masks inside vacuum frames to prevent flaws resulting from overexposure or light reflection.
- Transfers images from master plates to unexposed plates, and immerses plates in developing solutions to develop images.
- Examines unexposed photographic plates to detect flaws or foreign particles prior to printing.
- Lowers vacuum frames onto plate-film assemblies, activates vacuums to establish contact between film and plates, and sets timers to activate ultraviolet lights that expose plates.