Performs secretarial duties using specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties may include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
This career is part of the Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Answers telephones and directs calls to appropriate staff.
- Schedules and confirms patient diagnostic appointments, surgeries, or medical consultations.
- Operates office equipment, such as voice mail messaging systems, and uses word processing, spreadsheet, or other software applications to prepare reports, invoices, financial statements, letters, case histories, or medical records.
- Maintains medical records, technical library, or correspondence files.
- Greets visitors, ascertains purpose of visit, and directs them to appropriate staff.
- Compiles and records medical charts, reports, or correspondence, using typewriter or personal computer.
- Receives and routes messages or documents, such as laboratory results, to appropriate staff.
- Transmit correspondence or medical records by mail, e-mail, or fax.
- Performs various clerical or administrative functions, such as ordering and maintaining an inventory of supplies.
- Interviews patients to complete documents, case histories, or forms, such as intake or insurance forms.