Plans and directs public relations programs designed to create and maintain a favorable public image for employer or client; or if engaged in fundraising, plans and directs activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects and nonprofit organizations.
This career is part of the Management and Administration cluster Corporate/General Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, government officials, and media representatives and uses these relationships to develop new business opportunities.
- Writes interesting and effective press releases, prepares information for media kits, and develops and maintains company internet or intranet web pages.
- Identifies main client groups and audiences, determines the best way to communicate publicity information to them, and develops and implements a communication plan.
- Assigns, supervises, and reviews the activities of public relations staff.
- Develops and maintains the company's corporate image and identity, which includes the use of logos and signage.
- Responds to requests for information about employers' activities or status.
- Manages communications budgets.
- Directs activities of external agencies, establishments, and departments that develop and implement communication strategies and information programs.
- Drafts speeches for company executives and arranges interviews and other forms of contact for them.
- Evaluates advertising and promotion programs for compatibility with public relations efforts.