Installs, services or repairs automatic door mechanisms and hydraulic doors, including garage door mechanics.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Maintenance, Installation and Repair pathway.
A person in this career:
- Winds large springs with upward motion of arm.
- Adjusts doors to open or close with the correct amount of effort or makes simple adjustments to electric openers.
- Carries springs to tops of doors, using ladders or scaffolding, and attaches springs to tracks to install spring systems.
- Repairs or replaces worn or broken door parts, using hand tools.
- Completes required paperwork, such as work orders, according to services performed or required.
- Fastens angle iron back-hangers to ceilings and tracks, using fasteners or welding equipment.
- Collects payment upon job completion.
- Installs door frames, rails, steel rolling curtains, electronic-eye mechanisms, or electric door openers and closers, using power tools, hand tools, and electronic test equipment.
- Inspects job sites, assessing headroom, side room, or other conditions to determine appropriateness of door for a given location.
- Assembles and fastens tracks to structures or bucks, using impact wrenches or welding equipment.