Provides advanced nursing care for patients with psychiatric disorders. May provide psychotherapy under the direction of a psychiatrist.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors patients' medication usage and results.
- Documents patients' medical and psychological histories, physical assessment results, diagnoses, treatment plans, prescriptions, or outcomes.
- Diagnoses psychiatric disorders and mental health conditions.
- Evaluates patients' behavior to formulate diagnoses or assess treatments.
- Distinguishes between physiologically and psychologically based disorders and diagnoses appropriately.
- Assesses patients' mental and physical status based on the presenting symptoms and complaints.
- Educates patients and family members about mental health and medical conditions, preventive health measures, medications, or treatment plans.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members, including psychiatrists, psychologists, or nursing staff, to develop, implement, or evaluate treatment plans.
- Writes prescriptions for psychotropic medications as allowed by state regulations and collaborative practice agreements.
- Develops and implements treatment plans.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.