Operates or tends equipment to control chemical changes or reactions in the processing of industrial or consumer products. Equipment used includes devulcanizers, steam-jacketed kettles, and reactor vessels.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Observes safety precautions to prevent fires or explosions.
- Records operational data, such as temperatures, pressures, ingredients used, processing times, or test results.
- Controls or operates equipment in which chemical changes or reactions take place during the processing of industrial or consumer products.
- Patrols work areas to detect leaks or equipment malfunctions or to monitor operating conditions.
- Draws samples of products at specified stages so that analyses can be performed.
- Adjusts controls to regulate temperature, pressure, feed, or flow of liquids or gases and times of prescribed reactions, according to knowledge of equipment and processes.
- Monitors gauges, recording instruments, flowmeters, or products to ensure that specified conditions are maintained.
- Tests product samples for specific gravity, chemical characteristics, pH levels, concentrations, or viscosities or send them to laboratories for testing.
- Inspects equipment or units to detect leaks or malfunctions, shutting equipment down if necessary.
- Opens valves or starts pumps, agitators, reactors, blowers, or automatic feed of materials.