Presses or shapes articles by hand or machine.
This career is part of the Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates steam, hydraulic, or other pressing machines to remove wrinkles from garments and flatwork items, or to shape, form, or patch articles.
- Lowers irons, rams, or pressing heads of machines into position over material to be pressed.
- Removes finished pieces from pressing machines and hangs or stacks them for cooling, or forwards them for additional processing.
- Slides material back and forth over heated, metal, ball-shaped forms to smooth and press portions of garments that cannot be satisfactorily pressed with flat pressers or hand irons.
- Hangs, folds, packages, and tags finished articles for delivery to customers.
- Selects appropriate pressing machines, based on garment properties such as heat tolerance.
- Pushes and pulls irons over surfaces of articles to smooth or shape them.
- Finishes pleated garments, determining sizes of pleats from evidence of old pleats or from work orders, using machine presses or hand irons.
- Straightens, smooths, or shapes materials to prepare them for pressing.
- Finishes pants, jackets, shirts, skirts and other dry-cleaned and laundered articles, using hand irons.