Sets up, operates, or tends metal or plastic molding, casting, or coremaking machines to mold or cast metal or thermoplastic parts or products.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Observes continuous operation of automatic machines to ensure that products meet specifications and to detect jams or malfunctions, making adjustments as necessary.
- Measures and visually inspects products for surface and dimension defects to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Sets up, operates, or tends metal or plastic molding, casting, or coremaking machines to mold or cast metal or thermoplastic parts or products.
- Positions and secures workpieces on machines, and starts feeding mechanisms.
- Turns valves and dials of machines to regulate pressure, temperature, and speed and feed rates, and to set cycle times.
- Removes finished or cured products from dies or molds, using hand tools, air hoses, and other equipment, stamping identifying information on products when necessary.
- Skims or pours dross, slag, or impurities from molten metal, using ladles, rakes, hoes, spatulas, or spoons.
- Trims excess material from parts, using knives, and grinds scrap plastic into powder for reuse.
- Cools products after processing to prevent distortion.
- Installs dies onto machines or presses and coats dies with parting agents, according to work order specifications.