Sets up, operates, or tends machines to saw, cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or plastic material.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Measures completed workpieces to verify conformance to specifications, using micrometers, gauges, calipers, templates, or rulers.
- Examines completed workpieces for defects, such as chipped edges or marred surfaces and sort defective pieces according to types of flaws.
- Sets stops on machine beds, changes dies, and adjusts components, such as rams or power presses, when making multiple or successive passes.
- Starts machines, monitors their operations, and records operational data.
- Sets up, operates, or tends machines to saw, cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or plastic material.
- Tests and adjusts machine speeds or actions, according to product specifications, using gauges and hand tools.
- Installs, aligns, and locks specified punches, dies, cutting blades, or other fixtures in rams or beds of machines, using gauges, templates, feelers, shims, and hand tools.
- Reads work orders or production schedules to determine specifications, such as materials to be used, locations of cutting lines, or dimensions and tolerances.
- Positions guides, stops, holding blocks, or other fixtures to secure and direct workpieces, using hand tools and measuring devices.
- Positions, aligns, and secures workpieces against fixtures or stops on machine beds or on dies.