Guards, patrols, or monitors premises to prevent theft, violence, or infractions of rules. May operate x-ray and metal detector equipment.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Security and Protective Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors and authorizes entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises.
- Writes reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences.
- Calls police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
- Answers alarms and investigates disturbances.
- Circulates among visitors, patrons, or employees to preserve order and protect property.
- Patrols industrial or commercial premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates.
- Escorts or drives motor vehicle to transport individuals to specified locations or to provide personal protection.
- Operates detecting devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
- Answers telephone calls to take messages, answer questions, and provide information during non-business hours or when switchboard is closed.
- Warns persons of rule infractions or violations, and apprehends or evicts violators from premises, using force when necessary.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.