Officiates at competitive athletic or sporting events. Detects infractions of rules and decides penalties according to established regulations.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Recreation, Amusements and Attractions pathway.
A person in this career:
- Officiates at sporting events, games, or competitions, to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules are observed.
- Signals participants or other officials to make them aware of infractions or to otherwise regulate play or competition.
- Inspects sporting equipment and/or examines participants in order to ensure compliance with event and safety regulations.
- Keeps track of event times, including race times and elapsed time during game segments, starting or stopping play when necessary.
- Judges performances in sporting competitions in order to award points, impose scoring penalties, and determine results.
- Starts races and competitions.
- Resolves claims of rule infractions or complaints by participants and assesses any necessary penalties, according to regulations.
- Confers with other sporting officials, coaches, players, and facility managers in order to provide information, coordinate activities, and discuss problems.
- Directs participants to assigned areas such as starting blocks or penalty areas.
- Verifies scoring calculations before competition winners are announced.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.