Assembles or modifies electromechanical equipment or devices, such as servomechanisms, gyros, dynamometers, magnetic drums, tape drives, brakes, control linkage, actuators, and appliances.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production/Process Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects, tests, and adjusts completed units to ensure that units meet specifications, tolerances, and customer order requirements.
- Assembles parts or units, and positions, aligns, and fastens units to assemblies, subassemblies, or frames, using hand tools and power tools.
- Positions, aligns, and adjusts parts for proper fit and assembly.
- Connects cables, tubes, and wiring, according to specifications.
- Attaches name plates and marks identifying information on parts.
- Reads blueprints and specifications to determine component parts and assembly sequences of electromechanical units.
- Disassembles units to replace parts or to crate them for shipping.
- Measures parts to determine tolerances, using precision measuring instruments such as micrometers, calipers, and verniers.
- Cleans and lubricates parts and subassemblies, using grease paddles or oilcans.
- Drills, taps, reams, countersinks, and spots-face bolt holes in parts, using drill presses and portable power drills.