Develops specifications and instructions for installation of voltage transformers, overhead or underground cables, and related electrical equipment used to conduct electrical energy from transmission lines or high-voltage distribution lines to consumers.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses computer-aided drafting equipment or conventional drafting stations, technical handbooks, tables, calculators, and traditional drafting tools, such as boards, pencils, protractors, and T-squares.
- Drafts working drawings, wiring diagrams, wiring connection specifications or cross-sections of underground cables, as required for instructions to installation crew.
- Assembles documentation packages and produces drawing sets which are checked by an engineer or an architect.
- Reviews completed construction drawings and cost estimates for accuracy and conformity to standards and regulations.
- Confers with engineering staff and other personnel to resolve problems.
- Measures factors that affect installation and arrangement of equipment, such as distances to be spanned by wire and cable.
- Designs electrical systems, such as lighting systems.
- Draws master sketches to scale showing relation of proposed installations to existing facilities and exact specifications and dimensions.
- Studies work order requests to determine type of service, such as lighting or power, demanded by installation.
- Explains drawings to production or construction teams and provides adjustments as necessary.