Engraves or etches metal, wood, rubber, or other materials.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Adjusts depths and sizes of cuts by adjusting heights of worktables, or by adjusting machine-arm gauges.
- Engraves and prints patterns, designs, etchings, trademarks, or lettering onto flat or curved surfaces of a wide variety of metal, glass, plastic, or paper items, using hand tools or hand-held power tools.
- Positions and clamps workpieces, plates, or rollers in holding fixtures.
- Determines machine settings, and moves bars or levers to reproduce designs on rollers or plates.
- Examines engraving for quality of cut, burrs, rough spots, and irregular or incomplete engraving.
- Measures and computes dimensions of lettering, designs, or patterns to be engraved.
- Starts machines and lowers cutting tools to beginning points on patterns.
- Cleans and polishes engraved areas.
- Examines sketches, diagrams, samples, blueprints, or photographs to decide how designs are to be etched, cut, or engraved onto workpieces.
- Selects and mounts wheels and miters on lathes, and equips lathes with water to cool wheels and prevent dust when grinding glass.