Teaches courses in human history and historiography. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching and Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Prepares and delivers lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as ancient history, postwar civilizations, and the history of third-world countries.
- Evaluates and grades students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Initiates, facilitates, and moderates classroom discussions.
- Compiles, administers, and grades examinations, or assigns this work to others.
- Plans, evaluates, and revises curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Maintains regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
- Conducts research in a particular field of knowledge and publishes findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Maintains student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Selects and obtains materials and supplies, such as textbooks.