Guides or controls vehicular or pedestrian traffic at such places as streets, schools, railroad crossings, or construction sites.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Security and Protective Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors traffic flow to locate safe gaps through which pedestrians can cross streets.
- Directs or escorts pedestrians across streets, stopping traffic as necessary.
- Guides or controls vehicular or pedestrian traffic at such places as street and railroad crossings and construction sites.
- Communicates traffic and crossing rules and other information to students and adults.
- Reports unsafe behavior of children to school officials.
- Records license numbers of vehicles disregarding traffic signals, and reports infractions to appropriate authorities.
- Directs traffic movement or warn of hazards, using signs, flags, lanterns, and hand signals.
- Learns the location and purpose of street traffic signs within assigned patrol areas.
- Stops speeding vehicles to warn drivers of traffic laws.
- Distributes traffic control signs and markers at designated points.