Sets up, operates, or tends wood sawing machines. May operate CNC equipment.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects and measures workpieces to mark for cuts and to verify the accuracy of cuts, using rulers, squares, or caliper rules.
- Adjusts saw blades, using wrenches and rulers, or by turning handwheels or pressing pedals, levers, or panel buttons.
- Mounts and bolts sawing blades or attachments to machine shafts.
- Sets up, operates, or tends saws or machines that cut or trim wood to specified dimensions, such as circular saws, band saws, multiple-blade sawing machines, scroll saws, ripsaws, or crozer machines.
- Inspects stock for imperfections or to estimate grades or qualities of stock or workpieces.
- Monitors sawing machines, adjusting speed and tension and clearing jams to ensure proper operation.
- Sharpens blades or replaces defective or worn blades or bands, using hand tools.
- Guides workpieces against saws, saws over workpieces by hand, or operates automatic feeding devices to guide cuts.
- Clears machine jams, using hand tools.
- Lubricates or cleans machines, using wrenches, grease guns, or solvents.