Reads meter and record consumption of electricity, gas, water, or steam.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads electric, gas, water, or steam consumption meters and enters data in route books or hand-held computers.
- Walks or drives vehicles along established routes to take readings of meter dials.
- Uploads into office computers all information collected on hand-held computers during meter rounds, or returns route books or hand-held computers to business offices so that data can be compiled.
- Verifies readings in cases where consumption appears to be abnormal, and records possible reasons for fluctuations.
- Inspects meters for unauthorized connections, defects, and damage such as broken seals.
- Reports to service departments any problems such as meter irregularities, damaged equipment, or impediments to meter access, including dogs.
- Answers customers' questions about services and charges, or directs them to customer service centers.
- Updates client address and meter location information.
- Leaves messages to arrange different times to read meters in cases in which meters are not accessible.
- Connects and disconnects utility services at specific locations.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.