Grinds, sands, or polishes, using hand tools or hand-held power tools, a variety of metal, wood, stone, clay, plastic, or glass objects.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Grinds, sands, cleans, or polishes objects or parts to correct defects or to prepare surfaces for further finishing, using hand tools and power tools.
- Marks defects such as knotholes, cracks, and splits for repair.
- Moves controls to adjust, start, or stop equipment during grinding and polishing processes.
- Selects files or other abrasives, according to materials, sizes and shapes of workpieces, amount of stock to be removed, finishes specified, and steps in finishing processes.
- Measures and marks equipment, objects, or parts to ensure grinding and polishing standards are met.
- Verifies quality of finished workpieces by inspecting them, comparing them to templates, measuring their dimensions, or testing them in working machinery.
- Records product and processing data on specified forms.
- Trims, scrapes, or deburrs objects or parts, using chisels, scrapers, and other hand tools and equipment.
- Removes completed workpieces from equipment or work tables, using hand tools, and places workpieces in containers.
- Loads and adjusts workpieces onto equipment or work tables, using hand tools.