Inspects, tests, sorts, samples, or weighs nonagricultural raw materials or processed, machined, fabricated, or assembled parts or products for defects, wear, and deviations from specifications. May use precision measuring instruments and complex test equipment.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Quality Assurance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects, tests, or measures materials, products, installations, or work for conformance to specifications.
- Measures dimensions of products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as rulers, calipers, gauges, or micrometers.
- Reads blueprints, data, manuals, or other materials to determine specifications, inspection and testing procedures, adjustment methods, certification processes, formulas, or measuring instruments required.
- Records inspection or test data, such as weights, temperatures, grades, or moisture content, and quantities inspected or graded.
- Marks items with details such as grade or acceptance-rejection status.
- Notifies supervisors or other personnel of production problems.
- Discards or rejects products, materials, or equipment not meeting specifications.
- Collects or selects samples for testing or for use as models.
- Writes test or inspection reports describing results, recommendations, or needed repairs.
- Compares colors, shapes, textures, or grades of products or materials with color charts, templates, or samples to verify conformance to standards.