Develops and executes software test plans in order to identify software problems and their causes.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Information Support and Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Designs test plans, scenarios, scripts, or procedures.
- Tests system modifications to prepare for implementation.
- Documents software defects, using a bug tracking system, and reports defects to software developers.
- Develops testing programs that address areas such as database impacts, software scenarios, regression testing, negative testing, error or bug retests, or usability.
- Identifies, analyzes, and documents problems with program function, output, online screen, or content.
- Monitors bug resolution efforts and tracks successes.
- Creates or maintains databases of known test defects.
- Plans test schedules or strategies in accordance with project scope or delivery dates.
- Participates in product design reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules, or potential problems.
- Reviews software documentation to ensure technical accuracy, compliance, or completeness, or to mitigate risks.