Edits moving images on film, video, or other media. May edit or synchronize soundtracks with images.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Organizes and strings together raw footage into a continuous whole according to scripts or the instructions of directors and producers.
- Reviews assembled films or edited videotapes on screens or monitors to determine if corrections are necessary.
- Trims film segments to specified lengths and reassemble segments in sequences that present stories with maximum effect.
- Determines the specific audio and visual effects and music necessary to complete films.
- Selects and combines the most effective shots of each scene to form a logical and smoothly running story.
- Sets up and operates computer editing systems, electronic titling systems, video switching equipment, and digital video effects units to produce a final product.
- Edits films and videotapes to insert music, dialogue, and sound effects, to arrange films into sequences, and to correct errors, using editing equipment.
- Cuts shot sequences to different angles at specific points in scenes, making each individual cut as fluid and seamless as possible.
- Marks frames where a particular shot or piece of sound is to begin or end.
- Verifies key numbers and time codes on materials.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.