Plays parts in stage, television, radio, video, motion picture productions, or other settings for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interprets serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collaborates with other actors as part of an ensemble.
- Portrays and interprets roles, using speech, gestures, and body movements, to entertain, inform, or instruct radio, film, television, or live audiences.
- Works closely with directors, other actors, and playwrights to find the interpretation most suited to the role.
- Performs humorous and serious interpretations of emotions, actions, and situations, using body movements, facial expressions, and gestures.
- Studies and rehearses roles from scripts to interpret, learn and memorize lines, stunts, and cues as directed.
- Learns about characters in scripts and their relationships to each other to develop role interpretations.
- Attends auditions and casting calls to audition for roles.
- Sings or dances during dramatic or comedic performances.
- Works with other crew members responsible for lighting, costumes, make-up, and props.
- Tells jokes, performs comic dances, songs and skits, impersonates mannerisms and voices of others, contorts face, and uses other devices to amuse audiences.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.