Posts information enabling patrons to wager on various races and sporting events. Assists in the operation of games such as keno and bingo. May operate random number generating equipment and announce the numbers for patrons. Receives, verifies, and records patrons' wagers. Scans and processes winning tickets presented by patrons and pays out winnings for those wagers.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Recreation, Amusements and Attractions pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collects bets in the form of cash or chips, verifying and recording amounts.
- Collects cards or tickets from players.
- Computes and verifies amounts won or lost, paying out winnings or referring patrons to workers, such as gaming cashiers, so that winnings can be collected.
- Answers questions about game rules or casino policies.
- Conducts gambling tables or games, such as dice, roulette, cards, or keno, and ensures that game rules are followed.
- Operates games in which players bet that a ball will come to rest in a particular slot on a rotating wheel, performing actions such as spinning the wheel and releasing the ball.
- Exchanges paper currency for playing chips or coins.
- Compares the house hand with players' hands to determine the winner.
- Seats patrons at gaming tables.
- Opens or closes cash floats or game tables.