Reads transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Visual and Design Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Corrects or records omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found.
- Marks copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
- Reads corrected copies or proofs to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Compares information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Consults reference books or secures aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Routes proofs with marked corrections to authors, editors, typists, or typesetters for correction or reprinting.
- Measures dimensions, spacing, and positioning of page elements (copy and illustrations) in order to verify conformance to specifications, using printer's ruler.
- Reads proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.