Supervises and coordinates the law enforcement activities of members of a police force.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Law Enforcement Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Supervises and coordinates the investigation of criminal cases, offering guidance and expertise to investigators, and ensuring that procedures are conducted in accordance with laws and regulations.
- Maintains logs, prepares reports, and directs the preparation, handling, and maintenance of departmental records.
- Explains police operations to subordinates to assist them in performing their job duties.
- Cooperates with court personnel and officials from other law enforcement agencies and testifies in court as necessary.
- Reviews contents of written orders to ensure adherence to legal requirements.
- Investigates and resolves personnel problems within organization and charges of misconduct against staff.
- Directs collection, preparation, and handling of evidence and personal property of prisoners.
- Informs personnel of changes in regulations and policies, implications of new or amended laws, and new techniques of police work.
- Trains staff in proper police work procedures.
- Monitors and evaluates the job performance of subordinates, and authorizes promotions and transfers.