Facilitates food service. Cleans tables, removes dirty dishes, replaces soiled table linens; sets tables; replenishes supply of clean linens, silverware, glassware, and dishes; supplies service bar with food; and serves items such as water, condiments, and coffee to patrons.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Wipes tables or seats with dampened cloths or replaces dirty tablecloths.
- Sets tables with clean linens, condiments, or other supplies.
- Locates items requested by customers.
- Scrapes and stacks dirty dishes and carries dishes and other tableware to kitchens for cleaning.
- Performs serving, cleaning, or stocking duties in establishments, such as cafeterias or dining rooms, to facilitate customer service.
- Carries food, dishes, trays, or silverware from kitchens or supply departments to serving counters.
- Cleans up spilled food or drink or broken dishes and removes empty bottles and trash.
- Serves food to customers when waiters or waitresses need assistance.
- Serves ice water, coffee, rolls, or butter to patrons.
- Maintains adequate supplies of items such as clean linens, silverware, glassware, dishes, or trays.