Keeps buildings in clean and orderly condition. Performs heavy cleaning duties, such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass, and removing rubbish. Duties may include tending furnace and boiler, performing routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalk.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Consumer Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Services, cleans, or supplies restrooms.
- Cleans building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming.
- Gathers and empties trash.
- Follows procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
- Mixes water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Cleans windows, glass partitions, or mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, or squeegees.
- Notifies managers concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems.
- Requisitions supplies or equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Dusts furniture, walls, machines, or equipment.
- Strips, seals, finishes, and polishes floors.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.