Drives an ambulance or assists an ambulance driver in transporting sick, injured, or convalescent persons. Assists in lifting patients.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Support Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Drives ambulances or assists ambulance drivers in transporting sick, injured, or convalescent persons.
- Removes and replaces soiled linens or equipment to maintain sanitary conditions.
- Places patients on stretchers and loads stretchers into ambulances, usually with assistance from other attendants.
- Accompanies and assists emergency medical technicians on calls.
- Earns and maintains appropriate certifications.
- Replaces supplies and disposable items on ambulances.
- Reports facts concerning accidents or emergencies to hospital personnel or law enforcement officials.
- Administers first aid, such as bandaging, splinting, or administering oxygen.
- Restrains or shackles violent patients.