Drives ambulance or assists ambulance driver in transporting sick, injured, or convalescent persons. Assists in lifting patients.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Support Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Removes and replaces soiled linens or equipment to maintain sanitary conditions.
- Drives ambulances or assists ambulance drivers in transporting sick, injured, or convalescent persons.
- Reports facts concerning accidents or emergencies to hospital personnel or law enforcement officials.
- Places patients on stretchers and loads stretchers into ambulances, usually with assistance from other attendants.
- Accompanies and assists emergency medical technicians on calls.
- Replaces supplies and disposable items on ambulances.
- Performs minor maintenance on emergency medical services vehicles, such as ambulances.
- Cleans and washes rigs, ambulances, or equipment.
- Earns and maintains appropriate certifications.
- Administers first aid, such as bandaging, splinting, or administering oxygen.