Applies makeup to performers to reflect the period, setting, and situation of their role.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Confers with stage or motion picture officials and performers in order to determine desired effects.
- Duplicates work precisely in order to replicate characters' appearances on a daily basis.
- Applies makeup to enhance, and/or alter the appearance of people appearing in productions such as movies.
- Establishes budgets, and works within budgetary limits.
- Alters or maintains makeup during productions as necessary to compensate for lighting changes or to achieve continuity of effect.
- Selects desired makeup shades from stock, or mix oil, grease, and coloring in order to achieve specific color effects.
- Cleanses and tones the skin in order to prepare it for makeup application.
- Assesses performers' skin-type in order to ensure that make-up will not cause break-outs or skin irritations.
- Analyzes a script, noting events that affect each character's appearance, so that plans can be made for each scene.
- Requisitions or acquires needed materials for special effects, including wigs, beards, and special cosmetics.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.