Performs standardized qualitative and quantitative tests to determine physical or chemical properties of food or beverage products.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Records or compiles test results or prepares graphs, charts, or reports.
- Conducts standardized tests on food, beverages, additives, or preservatives to ensure compliance with standards and regulations regarding factors such as color, texture, or nutrients.
- Maintains records of testing results or other documents as required by state or other governing agencies.
- Tastes or smells foods or beverages to ensure that flavors meet specifications or to select samples with specific characteristics.
- Monitors and controls temperature of products.
- Computes moisture or salt content, percentages of ingredients, formulas, or other product factors, using mathematical and chemical procedures.
- Performs regular maintenance of laboratory equipment by inspecting, calibrating, cleaning, or sterilizing.
- Analyzes test results to classify products or compare results with standard tables.
- Provides assistance to food scientists or technologists in research and development, production technology, or quality control.
- Trains newly hired laboratory personnel.