Sets up, operates, or tends machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products, including glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Selects appropriate coatings, paints, or sprays, or prepares them by mixing substances according to formulas, using automated paint mixing equipment.
- Holds or positions spray guns to direct spray onto articles.
- Fills hoppers, reservoirs, troughs, or pans with material used to coat, paint, or spray, using conveyors or pails.
- Starts and stops operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Determines paint flow, viscosity, and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using viscometers.
- Attaches hoses or nozzles to machines, using wrenches and pliers, and makes adjustments to obtain the proper dispersion of spray.
- Turns dials, handwheels, valves, or switches to regulate conveyor speeds, machine temperature, air pressure and circulation, and the flow or spray of coatings or paints.
- Observes machine gauges and equipment operation to detect defects or deviations from standards, and makes adjustments as necessary.
- Performs test runs to ensure that equipment is set up properly.
- Cleans machines, related equipment, and work areas, using water, solvents and other cleaning aids.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.