Sets up, operates or tends machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products, including glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Weighs or measures chemicals, coatings, or paints before adding them to machines.
- Determines paint flow, viscosity, and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using viscometers.
- Observes machine gauges and equipment operation to detect defects or deviations from standards, and makes adjustments as necessary.
- Selects appropriate coatings, paints, or sprays, or prepares them by mixing substances according to formulas, using automated paint mixing equipment.
- Sets up and operates machines to paint or coat products with such materials as silver and copper solution, rubber, paint, glaze, oil, or rustproofing materials.
- Turns dials, handwheels, valves, or switches to regulate conveyor speeds, machine temperature, air pressure and circulation, and the flow or spray of coatings or paints.
- Starts and stops operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Records operational data on specified forms.
- Starts pumps to mix solutions and fill tanks.
- Fills hoppers, reservoirs, troughs, or pans with material used to coat, paint, or spray, using conveyors or pails.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.