Assists librarians by helping readers in the use of library catalogs, databases, and indexes to locate books and other materials; and by answering questions that require only brief consultation of standard reference. Compiles records; sorts and shelves books or other media; removes or repairs damaged books or other media; registers patrons; and checks materials in and out of the circulation process. Replaces materials in shelving area (stacks) or files.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Visual and Design Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Helps patrons find and use library resources, such as reference materials, audio-visual equipment, computers, and other electronic resources and provides technical assistance when needed.
- Answers routine telephone or in-person reference inquiries, referring patrons to librarians for further assistance, when necessary.
- Processes print and non-print library materials to prepare them for inclusion in library collections.
- Reserves, circulates, renews, and discharges books and other materials.
- Catalogues and sorts books and other print and non-print materials according to procedure and returns them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas.
- Provides assistance to teachers and students by locating materials and helping to complete special projects.
- Organizes and maintains periodicals and reference materials.
- Delivers and retrieves items throughout the library by hand or using pushcart.
- Maintains and troubleshoots problems with library equipment, including computers, photocopiers, and audio-visual equipment.
- Trains other staff, volunteers, or student assistants and schedules and supervises their work.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.