Assists librarians by helping readers in the use of library catalogs, databases, and indexes to locate books and other materials; and by answering questions that require only brief consultation of standard reference. Compiles records; sorts and shelves books or other media; removes or repairs damaged books or other media; registers patrons; and checks materials in and out of the circulation process. Replaces materials in shelving area (stacks) or files. Includes bookmobile drivers who assist with providing services in mobile libraries.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Visual and Design Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reserves, circulates, renews, and discharges books and other materials.
- Answers routine telephone or in-person reference inquiries, referring patrons to librarians for further assistance, when necessary.
- Helps patrons find and use library resources, such as reference materials, audio-visual equipment, computers, and other electronic resources and provides technical assistance when needed.
- Delivers and retrieves items throughout the library by hand or using pushcart.
- Processes print and non-print library materials to prepare them for inclusion in library collections.
- Catalogues and sorts books and other print and non-print materials according to procedure and returns them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas.
- Enters and updates patrons' records on computers.
- Provides assistance to teachers and students by locating materials and helping to complete special projects.
- Compiles and maintains records relating to circulation, materials, and equipment.
- Takes actions to halt disruption of library activities by problem patrons.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.