Plans and directs the operation and maintenance of catapults, arresting gear, and associated mechanical, hydraulic, and control systems involved primarily in aircraft carrier takeoff and landing operations. Duties include supervision of readiness and safety of arresting gear, launching equipment, barricades, and visual landing aid systems; planning and coordinating the design, development, and testing of launch and recovery systems; preparing specifications for catapult and arresting gear installations; evaluating design proposals; determining handling equipment needed for new aircraft; preparing technical data and instructions for operation of landing aids; and training personnel in carrier takeoff and landing procedures.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Security and Protective Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Directs the operation of consoles to control launch and recovery equipment, including catapults and arresting gear.
- Supervises the operation of elevators to transfer aircraft between flight and storage decks.
- Manages and directs the installation and maintenance of visual landing aids.
- Supervises the testing and adjusting of launch and recovery equipment.
- Supervises installation of airfield crash barriers and barricades.
- Directs aircraft launch and recovery operations.